Mexican Chopped Salad with Honey- Lime Dressing

Mexican food is on our menu at least once a week... and mostly a couple of times including a trip through one of our awesome fast-food Mexican shacks sometime during the week. Our local fish taco place has "Fish Taco Tuesdays" (fish tacos for $1), so we take them up on that once in a while. But I do prefer to make my own.

I find it tough to locate Mexican-style side dishes that aren't starchy (rice), heavy (beans), or fattening (quesadillas.) Since many Mexican main dishes tend to be starchy, heavy and fattening themselves, it's refreshing to have something light to serve alongside.


This Mexican Chopped Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing was the choice to accompany our healthy fish tacos. I crave salads that are full of really fresh vegetables. We're darn lucky that we live in a heavenly place where Farmer's Markets are abundant year round. I don't know what I'd do if I lived in... Montana? Maine? Alaska? I'd miss my access to year-round fresh veggies immensely.


This salad is smack-full of good stuff... black beans, tomato, jicama, corn, radishes, avocado, red bells and reduced-fat feta cheese. You could certainly sub Cotija (Mexican) cheese for the feta if you'd like... but it will be a little more fattening. The whole she-bang is tossed in a really light honey-lime dressing. Two giant thumbs up from the adults in the family, and one adamant "yuck" from the kiddo. But don't worry... he won't eat any kind of salad. I'm still trying. One of these days he's going to love it, right?

This recipe can be found HERE.

Labels: ,