Dorie Greenspan's Cream Scones

Since I made that unbelievable Meyer Lemon Curd, I was in need of coming up with a baked treat in which to utilize it. Browsing my baking cookbooks, I turned to Dorie for help. She has a simple Cream Scones recipe in Baking from My Home to Yours. Oh yeah... perfect!

What Dorie doesn't know (or maybe she does now) is that there is a error in her recipe. The recipe lists currants as an ingredient, but nowhere in the directions does it say to add currants to the recipe. I modified that in my directions but by the time I realized it in my preparations, I had already formed the scone rounds. Not wanting to disturb the chemistry of the ingredients, I studded the currants on top of the rounds. That worked out just fine but I might like to have had some currants within my scones as well. Next time...










I think many people avoid making scones because they're unsure of how to shape them. You don't need a special scone pan, you simply score the dough prior to baking. The baked scone loaf pulls apart easily to reveal small triangular scones.

This recipe makes enough for 12 small scones. Some scone recipes I've made aren't good when eaten the next day. Not the case with Dorie's scones. These were quite good the next morning. Still moist and flaky and not dry at all.

And these were oh-so-yummy warmed up with spoonfuls of lemon curd!


A big dollop, maybe two... a great breakfast or afternoon tea treat!

This recipe can be found HERE.

Labels: ,